Friday, March 26, 2010

Mmm, Spicy Corn Chowder + Homemade Bread

I'm really into these frozen vegetables we're getting from the CSA. We got corn and potatoes this week so I made smoky corn chowder. Here's what I did.

Diced a bunch of pancetta and crisped it up in a pan. I took it out with a slotted spoon, then cooked onion and diced frozen green bell pepper. I added some chopped serranos I roasted and froze last summer, along with minced garlic and chipotle chili powder, then diced potatoes. I sprinkled the whole mess with flour then added skim milk. I let that simmer until the potatoes were tender, then added the frozen corn along with sliced scallions, lemon juice and chopped parsley. I made a salad of green leaf lettuce, cucumber and avocado dressed with blue cheese vinaigrette and served it with my favorite non-sweet quickbread, honey oat quick bread. It's so good, I made it all the time because I almost always have the stuff to make it on hand!

No comments: