Saturday, March 13, 2010

Clean-Out-the-Fridge-Soup

Dan likes to poke fun at me, but I take pride in not throwing a whole lot of stuff out. I can pretty much always find a use for leftovers. I save veggie scraps for stock, turn leftovers into something new, make chicken stock after I roast a chicken.

I thought dinner Friday night was going to be leftover chicken cobbler, but Dan had it for lunch. We were pressed for time, as we wanted to get to Montpelier to start a weekend in our old town. I didn't want to stop anywhere because we had 2 dogs with us that might kill each other if left alone in the car. But I also didn't want to take a lot of time to make anything.

I saw some cooked rice in the fridge and thought I'd start there. I dumped two partially empty boxes of broth in a pan -- one chicken, one beef -- then added a ton of salsa and the rice. I had like 1/2 cup of black beans, that went in too. I had brought home a few raw chicken tenders for Kayla but decided they'd be better in our soup. I also tossed in a handful or 2 of frozen DLGs from our CSA. I let that cook, then ladled it into bowls and topped them with crushed tortilla chips and shredded Cheddar.

Dan declared the "refrigerator schmegma" as one of the top 5 soups I ever made, "which is saying a lot," Dan said, "because you make a lot of soup--and a lot of good soup."

Good husband.

No comments: