Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lettuce Wraps

Tonight was lettuce-wrap night. I loosely based this evening's dinner on a recipe I developed a couple of years ago for EatingWell. We were in Montpelier all weekend and I hadn't made any real plan for dinner when we got home. We had ground beef from our meat CSA in the freezer, so I popped it in a pan and let it cook as it defrosted. I minced a can of water chestnuts and added some Chinese five-spice powder, ground ginger, hoisin sauce, chile-garlic sauce, water, soy sauce and a minced onion. I grated carrots and the rest of our daikon from our CSA and snipped some mint from our pot upstairs. I brought home a head of butterhead lettuce from work, and I even ate some wrapped in green cabbage leaves. I love this meal--so light and delicious.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This sounds so yummy. I am hooked on lettuce wraps ever since my son took me to dinner and we had ordered the wraps as an appetizer after eating them I didn't want dinner and now when we go thats all I order, oooh so gooood! B.F. Changs uses chicken but this recipe really sounds good with the beef. Can't wait to try them.