Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chicken Cobbler

I've been jonesing for Chicken Pot Pie. Every time I brought it up, Dan wrinkled his nose. So when I saw Mark Bittman's recipe for Chicken & Vegetable Cobbler I thought maybe he'd like that.

First, let me start off my saying I made many tweaks. Swapped a smallish yellow onion for the leek. We got oyster and shiitakes in our CSA this week, so I used those instead of the button mushrooms. Along with the sliced carrots, I added a few diced parsnips. (Shh, don't tell Dan.) Dan had roasted a chicken earlier in the week, so I pulled the rest of the meat off the bird instead of using thigh meat. I also used white ww flour and regular milk in the topping.

I'd say we were both slightly disappointed. The flavor was decent, but next time I'd make it with white flour and make more gravy.

The star of the meal was the salad: the base was our shoots. Then I added some bean sprouts still had hanging around from pho night. Next came some grated daikon. Then a smattering of dried cherries my mom gets me from Traverse City, MI (the best cherries ever!). I made a ginger-miso-tahini dressing made with
miso from our CSA and real gosh-darned tahini from a Middle Eastern market in Detroit. I thought I might've stepped over the edge on weird combinations, but it was awesome. Dan even declared it one of the top 3 salads he had ever eaten. Knowing how many salads he's eaten just in the time we've been together, I'll take that as a compliment.

No comments: