Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Root Vegetable Gratin

I wrote a story on root vegetables for the December issue of EatingWell and accompanying recipes. One of my favorites--and most challenging to develop--was Root Vegetable Gratin. It was one of my favorite recipes once I finished it, but even though I've had a plethora of roots from my CSA all winter, I didn't actually make it at home until last night.

Dan has a love-hate relationship with roots, as in he loves carrots and beets and hates parsnips, turnips, celeriac and rutabaga. So I thought he might not like it since I used celeriac, beets and turnips. But he did and enthusiastically dug into a second piece. I didn't have Gruyere but had Parmesan, so I used that instead. My sauce was a bit too thick, probably because I didn't accurately measure my flour (ahem) so I thinned it with a bit more milk. I served it with a salad made with our spicy sprouts, julienned red bell pepper and grapefruit tossed with grapefruit juice and evoo. Delish. And so were the leftovers today!

No comments: