Sunday, November 2, 2008

a cooking marathon

Yesterday, I had a cooking marathon. By 9:30 am a pot of curried carrot soup was finished. While that was cooking, I made a plan on what to make with the rest of my CSA goodies.

On the list:
stuffed cabbage rolls
lasagna
peanut noodles

OK, that was easy, so now on to prepping. I sliced mushrooms and diced an onion for the lasagna sauce and julienned daikon, carrots and kohlrabi for the peanut noodles. Took the dogs for a walk and headed to the grocery store for the rest of the provisions needed for dinner.

Upon returning home, I prepared the lasagna--with ground turkey, parsley, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes layered with ricotta, spinach, mozzarella and parm--and made the stuffed cabbage rolls as close to how my Aunt Elaine had taught me as I could remember (I think I'd use less rice next time and I cooked the cabbage which I might not do--or do less--next time). I realized after I put the water on that I didn't have spaghetti for my peanut noodles, so I'll finish that project tomorrow.

And it didn't take me that long! I was able to do laundry and other chores in between food projects. At 3ish, we decided to head out on a bike ride. Dan and friends found a really easy way to get to Red Hen bakery in Middlesex, a 14-mile round-trip ride. We got warm drinks (it was way colder than expected!) and a cookie and headed back. When we got home, the cabbage rolls made a warm and cozy meal. I quickly roasted a delicata squash and a sweet potato for the side and we opened a bottle of McNeils Imperial Stout--yum!

And now we have food for most of the week--leftover cabbage rolls, the whole pan of lasagna and the soup.

No comments: