Thursday, November 6, 2008

Veggies Galore

While I had no problem with my summer CSA, I am not able to keep up with the winter one. I guess I don't *have* to keep up, most of the stuff we're getting now keeps more than what I was getting this summer. But it's still making me feel bad.

For instance, I still had the pac choi from week #1 left, and finally cooked it up tonight. Most of the outer leaves needed to be tossed, but it was alright. I made pho, using tilapia instead of the beef (I think I liked it better!), added a pinch each of 5 spice powder and ground ginger to the broth, and since I didn't have enough pac choi, I chopped enough savoy cabbage to make up the difference. The result was my favorite batch of pho ever.

I also sauteed the shiitakes. I have a bad history with shiitakes. When I was a kid, my friend and I made this authentic Chinese dinner that used a bunch of dried mushrooms. I was 12 then. The next day, I could not get the smell of the mushrooms off my hands. It made me ill. To this day, I can't handle the smell of them.

So the shiitakes are all him. Which is sad, because these were the most beautiful mushrooms I've ever seen. I sliced them all up and sauteed them for Dan. He added a bunch to his soup tonight and he can use them the next few days.

So tomorrow, this is my plan: make pesto with sorrel and the rest of the basil I bought for the pho, use that instead of red sauce to top a pizza that will have delicata squash and fresh mozzarella on it. Maybe some sauteed chard too? I'll probably use that beautiful head of lettuce to make my new favorite salad: greens, pomegranate seeds and pine nuts with champagne vinaigrette.

Now that I know what I'm doing with the sorrel, I need to look for cabbage recipes...

No comments: