Thursday, February 25, 2010

Snowy Day Pickup 2.24.10

We almost missed our pick-up this week, like a few other folks it sounded like. Dan was crazy busy all day. I got home at 5:30 (the time our pick-up ends) and it took me a few minutes to wonder where it was. Luckily there was still someone at Shelburne Vineyard when I called and we braved the snow to get it. Yay! Here's what we got this week...

2 lbs Carrots

1 lb Daikon Radish
2 lbs Rutabagas
2 lbs Yellow Storage Onions
2-3 lbsRed Cabbagge
Frozen Winter Squash Puree
Bag of Shoots/Claytonia Mix
Elmore Mountain Pain Au Levain with Sifted Whole Wheat Flour
Champlain Orchards Cranberry Apple Cider
Pa Pa Doodles Farm Eggs
Sour Pickles

The bread is incredible--I just had an egg sammy with it for breakfast. Just sour enough. Nom. I'm looking forward to the squash puree--I've had a hankering for a soup I used to make when I worked at Smokejack's that was sweet potato with maple syrup, chipotle and cider vinegar. I have another container of it from last winter (oops!) so I'll be combing the 2. Made a spritzer with the cider and homemade seltzer last night. Also made slaw with a leftover head of cabbage, a couple of carrots, a daikon and a chopped yellow bell pepper with a dressing of mayo, yogurt, vinegar and Frank's :D

We still have some roots in the fridge from last week, but that's good as I'm planning on making root vegetable enchiladas for a party this weekend. I'm a little bummed bc I just bought a 5# bag of carrots Tuesday. I didn't think we'd get them in the share this week because they got them last week. Oh well, we eat those like they're going out of style so no worries.

Looking forward to the meat csa starting next week!!!

No comments: