Wednesday, February 17, 2010

1st CSA Pickup

So Dan and I decided we needed a break as CSA members. For over a year, we were members of either Pete's Greens in winter and spring and Full Moon Farm in the summer and fall. This past fall we decided we wanted to actually go grocery shopping. Dan was sick of me telling him we couldn't have pho for dinner because we had too many other vegetables in the fridge that needed eating. I was sick of having to deal with the endless number of root vegetables that needed cooking.

Boy, weren't we both wrong.

When we decided to start back up with Pete's Greens for the spring share, it was a relief. We moved to Charlotte this winter and I no longer have the luxury of walking to a terrific co-op or even Shaw's when we ran out of something. Now I had to drive 20 minutes to get to a chain grocery store, longer to get to a natural-food store. I needed the share.

Even Dan was excited. He didn't even question rejoining, which surprised me a little. We made the decision several weeks ago and ever since, each week Dan asked, "Does the CSA start this week?" It was good to see his excitement.

And here I present to you, our first pick-up...

2 lbs Nicola Potatoes; 2 lbs Celeriac; 2 lbs Parsnips; 2 lbs Red Onions; 1-2 Heads of Garlic; Frozen Sweet Mixed Peppers; Bag of Shoots/Claytonia Salad Mix; Red Hen Cyrus Pringle Bread; Champlain Orchards Empire Apples; Butterworks Whole Wheat Flour; Vt Butter and Cheese Creme Fraiche


And the first pick-up, of course, brought the same challenges.
Dan hates parnsips.
I baked 2 loaves of bread this weekend that we still have parts of.
I just bought apples.
We both dislike green peppers.
I rarely cook with creme fraiche.

BUT! As always, we will embrace it! I'm out of whole-wheat flour. And garlic. And onions. Dan loves celeriac. And potatoes!

Presently I have roasting in the oven diced apples, celeriac, parsnips, onions tossed with canola oil, salt, pepper and dried thyme. It smells heavenly. Speaking of which, I should go eat it right now.

No comments: