Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mmmm... Local Potato Soup...

We're in slightly rough shape today. We were in Mass all weekend, culminating in seeing some of Dan's old college friends last night. We were up too late drinking and watching the Olympics and got very little sleep today. We had a big brunch before we headed home and when I started talking about making x when we got home, then y for dinner, Dan was like, let's just have dinner. Right-o.

Our newsletter last week had a recipe for Winter Baked Potato Soup. I made a riff on it. Here's what I did...

Cooked 4 pieces of bacon from the pig we got in a Dutch oven. Added a chopped red onion, sauteed that in the rendered bacon fat, then added all of the nicola potatoes we got last week and a halved garlic clove. I covered it with milk and simmered the mixture until the potatoes were tender. I mashed everything until it was chunky and added grated special reserve Cabot sharp Cheddar and creme fraiche. I toasted some leftover Cyrus Pringle bread and put it on top of the soup along with the crumbled bacon. Nom nom...

To start, we had a sprout salad with grapefruit and avocado and a mustard-white wine vinaigrette.

I love that everything in the soup was grown or processed in Vermont. Two thumbs up.

No comments: