Monday, August 30, 2010

It's too hot to cook...

...ut I did anyway.

Since Dan's been in Maine (mid June) I haven't been cooking much. Aside from making pickles of course. We were on vacation in MI last week and it felt good to eat real (ut too much) food again. So I made a promise to myself that I was going to start cooking again this week.

I also need to start cleaning out the freezer since the tomatoes are starting to come in and I need some more space.

Tonight's dinner: Asian Wheat berry Salad with Mahi inspired by a recipe by Judith Finlayson.

ingredients
2 cups cooked wheat berries
1 large cucumer, peeled and finely diced
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 large radish (like really large, turnip size), peeled and finely diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup thinly sliced snap and/or snow peas
Teriyaki dressing
Chile-garlic sauce
2 6-ounce pieces mahi
Chinese five spice powder
Kosher salt
1 medium head radicchio, thinly sliced


Comine wheat berries, cucumer, carrot, radish, cilantro and peas in a large bowl. Toss with teriyaki dressing and chile-garlic sauce to taste. Heat a bit of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle mahi with five spice powder and salt. Cook mahi until just cooked through. Let stand on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes. Flake. Place radicchio in a sering bowl. Top with the wheat berry mixture and the mahi. Drizzle with more teriyaki sauce if desired.

I was missing a few ingredients or else I would've made dressing from scratch. but the teriyaki dressing was an easy addition. Would be delicious with chicken or steak instead of the fish, or some shrimp.

No comments: