Tuesday, August 31, 2010

... and it's still too hot to cook...

My tomatoes are in! I've been desperately waiting for weeks for this and I'm already feeling overwhelmed. I found the most insane tomato today in my garden--like 4 morphed into one. I know, I should've taken a picture. Anyway, I presently have a batch of tomato sauce on the stoe een though it's way way too hot to cook, plus 3 trays of tomatoes in the dehydrater. I love my dehydrater. I dehydrated a lot of stuff 2 summers ago and I loved having that stuff in my cupboard. I'm going to do more of that this year!

Tonight's too hot to cook dinner = What's in the Garden + Fridge Panzanella

ingredients
1 cucumber, seeded and diced
1 wicked large tomato, diced
1 talespoon capers
1 large leaf red veined sorrel, torn
1 small garlic clove, minced
some kosher salt
olie oil and red wine vinegar to taste
2 stale pieces of whole-wheat bread, toasted and torn into cubes

Note: yes, i know, it's not traditional to toast bread for panzanella, but i just love how that toasty goodness a
bsorbs the dressingy goodness.

Comine cucumber, tomato, capers and sorrel in a medium bowl. Mash garlic and salt with the back of a spoon on a cutting board. Add to the eggies. Stir in oil and vinegar to taste. Add bread and let stand until some of the dressing is a
bsorbed.

Serving suggestion: vinho verde

No comments: