Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Last CSA Pick-Up

It's strange to title this post Last CSA Pick-up. Most of the folks I know are getting their first pick-ups of the season, or have just had a few weeks. They're all really excited to get their CSAs. Bless their hearts. I'm so ready for it to end. Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of a CSA. I really do. But even as someone who cooks almost every day, it exhausted me. We didn't get through the massive bag of mesclun they gave us 2 weeks ago and I wanted to cry as I composted the rotting remains. If I don't see another cabbage for a year, it won't be too soon. I again felt the frustration of the conflict between CSA members and better-paying customers when we received an email saying, sorry, no lettuce this week (or next!) because of the crazy hail storms, yet when I went to the co-op there were bags and bags of beautiful mesclun for sale.

I do have to say I'm really excited about this last pickup. We got beets with the greens still attached! Wild arugula, which I adore and can never seem to grow without fighting with flea beetles for the crop. And... another tomato? In June? In Vermont? That tastes like a tomato? Oh my...

2 lbs Nicola Potatoes

1 Bunch Chiogga Beets w/ Greens
1 Bunch Lacinato Kale
1 Bunch Scallions
1 Bunch Wild Arugula
1 Head of Napa Cabbage
1 Bag of Spinach
2 Head Lettuces
1 Large Tomato
Elmore Mountain Farmshare White Bread
Pa Pa Doodles Farm Eggs
Butternut Farm Maple Cream

No comments: