Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wednesday's Dinner

Last night was all about keeping it simple--but it was so stunning and colorful. At the cabin last weekend, I pulled up some basil and made pesto. I grilled a couple summer squash and chopped tomatoes from the CSA, supplementing with some from our own pots. I tossed all that with ravioli and served it with grilled Mad River Grain bread (the.best.bread.ever). The yellow squash, green pesto and red tomatoes was picture-perfect (of course I didn't take a picture...)

Frost threatened last night but I was hopeful we wouldn't get any. I did harvest any close-to-ripe tomatoes and tomatillos and pulled up the basil from the tomato pots. We were able to bring our herb pots inside, but wanted to protect the spinach, chard and kale seedlings (we just replanted our boxes a few weeks ago). On our porch was an egg crate mattress topper I had posted on Freecycle. The guy had missed 3 pick-up times and Dan and I looked at each other and knew that it would provide awesome insulation. Dan cut it in half and we covered the 2 larger boxes with the pieces, strapping it to the boxes with our canoe straps (my, aren't we handy?) A recycling bin went over another box and a fleece blanket over another.

But the tomatoes--we have like 8 or 10 tomato and tomatillo plants in pots and there was no way we were covering them, let alone hauling them in the house at their present height. Super pysched that the frost skipped our town last night, thanks frost!

No comments: